Yesterday we embarked on our 1,600+ mile journey from Maryland to San Antonio, TX. We are covering 400 miles a day and plan on being in SA on Sunday. Our first night we spent in Bristol, VA. Tonight we are in beautiful downtown Tuscaloosa, AL. Tomorrow we will be in Lafayette, LA. Then Sunday, sunny San Antone! Before we get there on Sunday, we plan on making a slight detour to visit one of my little sisters that lives in Houston. Sunday will be the day that Tracy and the girls get to see our little castle for the first time. Sunday will also be the day that I receive a great deal of praise or rebuke, depending on how Tracy likes the house! At any rate, we are stuck with it since we have closed on it. :-)
Yesterday, we had a little hiccup along the trail. As we were climbing a big hill in Virginia - passing cars, trucks, and vans - we noticed a spray of fluids coming out behind us. At first I thought it was like a comet's tail or a vapor trail from a jet's stream but then I realized that it was something more than that as I noticed the temperature gage start to climb. We quickly pulled over, in the middle of nowhere, and assessed the damage. I prayed it wasn't a busted radiator hose - and my prayer was answered. Our radiator hose merely slipped off the radiator. I guess the pressure from the engine and the G's we were pushing in the Ford Expedition (a.k.a. Percy), while towing the pickup (a.k.a. Grandpa Whitey) must have pushed that hose right off.
Unfortunately, I did something stupid and left our antifreeze/coolant at our house in MD. We decided we would call for roadside assistance. What a joke! I asked them to bring me out some radiator fluids - they offered to tow me to the nearest town. Wow! That would be a great big help - I'll be dropping that coverage. Tracy, the super packer, brought a case of bottled water with us so we ripped the tops off those bottles, filled up the radiator, and hit the road. So far, we haven't had any more mishaps.
The girls are traveling well. They get a bit fidgety but who can blame them. This is the second big move they've made in 2 years. Hopefully the next move will be shorter distance, and a few more years from now.
3 comments:
Glad you're having a good trip. We already miss you guys back here in MD.
Hope the rest of the trip goes without any major happenings! I'm sure everyone will love the house! Say hi to the Asays for us!
I hope all continues to go well. Sounds like the girls are traveling well, our daughter Hazel is a pill in the car, we are hoping that she will grow out of it. Enjoy San Antonio.
Post a Comment